The Franklin County Building Inspections Department recommends that:
- All work should be made by contractors licensed in the State of Virginia. The specification on the license must match the work that is being contracted. (i.e. A Building Contractor, BLD is not licensed to do Electrical Contracting; An ELE specification would be required.)
- The contractor’s license should be verified through DPOR’s contractor data base.
- Job references should be required of contractors and inquiries to those references should be made, prior to hiring a contractor.
- Plans should be provided, reviewed, and distributed among the owners, contractors, sub-contractors, and other workers so that the project is constructed as designed.
- All change orders should be signed, dated, and documented in accordance with Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation requirements. Find the Board for Contractors Regulations that can be downloaded.